Interviewing an Incel

Hi, my name is Liz and I’m a sophomore Anthropology student at SUNY Geneseo. For one of my classes we are supposed to interview someone from a different culture or subculture, and I decided that it would be interesting to interview someone who identifies as an incel. If you feel comfortable being interviewed (you don’t have to give your real name, just a user or screen name is fine), please email me at [email protected]. If this isn’t allowed on this board please let me know, I don’t want to offend or be a bother, and let me know if any of the language or terms used are offensive in any way; I am here to learn, not to degrade or make assumptions. Thanks!

hello liz/craptasticmax, welcome to incelistan.

theres a lot of that lately.
if you know what you’re going to ask you could list some questions here for more varied responses.

Sure! Here are all the questions that we’d be asking!

• Basic info if willing to provide - age, gender, sexual orientation,
  • To which community and cultural tradition do you belong?
  • How would you describe this community?
  • What is some of the vocabulary used on the daily in the incel community that outsiders would be unaware of?
  • What parts of the incel belief system do you think are the most important? What parts have impacted you the most?
  • How did you become involved in the incel community?
  • How has your involvement impacted you? Is there a change in your life because of your involvement?
  • Would you say that your experience in the incel community has been a positive one? Why or why not?
  • What would you most like to tell the American public about incels?
  • What would you say is the main misconception people have about incels?
  • Have you ever experienced any prejudice because you identify as an incel?
  • Are there any key points of history that are important to incels (such as the creation of online boards, key figures in incel society etc)?
  • To you, what is the most striking similarity between incel culture and American culture?
  • Basic info if willing to provide - age, gender, sexual orientation,
    32, male, straight.

• To which community and cultural tradition do you belong?
    general judeo-christian background. typical american cultural traditions.

• How would you describe this community?
    angry, confused, lonely.

• What is some of the vocabulary used on the daily in the incel community that outsiders would be unaware of?
    well I’d say “incel” to start but also variations “trucel”, “femcel”, “transcel”, “forever alone” the list goes on.
    but also other things that may not be exclusive to incels like “rope” or “ldar”.

• What parts of the incel belief system do you think are the most important? What parts have impacted you the most?
    I don’t think there is a “belief system” of sorts. it’s not like theres a manifesto we all sign or agree to.

• How did you become involved in the incel community?
    after hearing about it on social media and doing research.

• How has your involvement impacted you? Is there a change in your life because of your involvement?
    my intial answer would be no, but after thinking about, I think I’m more sensitive to how my attitude affects others. maybe thats just me.

• Would you say that your experience in the incel community has been a positive one? Why or why not?
    overall it equals out, it’s been neither a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ experience. just part of life.

• What would you most like to tell the American public about incels?
    stop complaining. dang. and stop making EVERYTHING in entertainment somehow about relationships.

• What would you say is the main misconception people have about incels?
    that incels are all grouped together and believe the same things. which isn’t true at all.

• Have you ever experienced any prejudice because you identify as an incel?
    not really, but I don’t go around telling people I’m an incel.

• Are there any key points of history that are important to incels (such as the creation of online boards, key figures in incel society etc)?
    nothing comes to mind. not saying there isn’t anything, just that I can’t think of anything.

• To you, what is the most striking similarity between incel culture and American culture?
    also nothing comes to mind. I think china has the highest population of incels. I wouldn’t call being incel a culture, I’d call it a demographic.
    although, after writing that you may have meant “the culture inside the incel community” and to that I’d say:
    ungratefulness (not saying incels have SO much to be grateful for), maybe. I’m not sure.

this was helpful to reflect on these things. thank you for asking.

1 Like

age, gender, sexual orientation

26, male, cisgender

To which community and cultural tradition do you belong?

I come from an alt-right Catholic family, but I’m a lib-right atheist.

How would you describe this community?

We are all bonded by our failures. People that were heavily bullied in high school, people with gender dysphoria, people with pedo tendencias etc. We’re a bunch of losers trying to understand our role in society.

What is some of the vocabulary used on the daily in the incel community that outsiders would be unaware of?

“incel” itself and its variants (volcel, femcel etc) are good examples. blue/red/black/white/purple pills are another example a bit more complex to explain to outsiders.

What parts of the incel belief system do you think are the most important? What parts have impacted you the most?

There is no such a thing. As I stated earlier, we are bonded by our failures and nothing more.

How did you become involved in the incel community?

Reddit.

How has your involvement impacted you? Is there a change in your life because of your involvement?

It’s good to know that I’m not alone.

Would you say that your experience in the incel community has been a positive one? Why or why not?

Yes, many incels like to analyze and criticize certain aspects of modern eastern society. I’ve seen a lot of interesting thoughts.

What would you most like to tell the American public about incels?

Nothing. I want incelosphere to stay as underground as possible.

What would you say is the main misconception people have about incels?

People tend to think incels are some kind of organized group with rules, goals and whatnot.

Have you ever experienced any prejudice because you identify as an incel?

I don’t identify myself as an incel outside of incelosphere.

Are there any key points of history that are important to incels (such as the creation of online boards, key figures in incel society etc)?

I don’t have sufficient knowledge to answer this.

To you, what is the most striking similarity between incel culture and American culture?

I can’t answer this because I’m not american.

Not all of us are failures.

Society failed me.